The Competitive CYSA Program offers a place for players to test their skills against other teams in both indoor and outdoor leagues.
The goal of the program is to develop skills, teach technique and tactics, and to create an environment of sportsmanship and fun. The competitive program seeks to prepare the players for the next level of soccer including middle school and high school. We aim to do this while remembering our main focus…it is all “for the kids” – the CYSA motto.
Description: The Competitive Program consists of league play against other towns and clubs and weekly practices.The Program spans over 3 sessions, consisting of 2 winter indoor sessions and 1 spring outdoor session.The teams are selected based on tryouts, with rosters varying from 10-18 players on a team.This program is also referred to as a “Travel Soccer League”, in many other towns.
Ø There are 3 sessions for the Competitive programs:
- Session 1 Indoor – 9 weeks; November – early January
- Session 2 Indoor – 9 weeks; January –March
- Spring Outdoor Session – 9 weeks; April – June
Ø The Competitive Program breakout:
- The 2 Winter Indoor sessions are played at Wide World of Indoor Sports. (WWIS)
- Each 9 week session consists of:
· 1 weekly game and playoffs (for teams that qualify).
· 1 Practice per week, totaling 11 per session.
· Additional professional training (clinics, skills training etc.)
· Note: indoor and outdoor cleats are both acceptable at WWIS.
- Spring Outdoor session.
- This session is played outdoors against other RI towns.
- 1 game and 1 practice per week are included.
- CYSA home fields include Tucker, Cumberland Hill and Diamond Hill.
- Fees for the 2014-2015 Competitive Season Program are $490 per player
- Payment should be made via credit card using the registration database. Initial registration fee $10 (Includes tryout t-shirt), month 2 of $250, month 3 of $195, and month 5 of $35.
- The fees will vary year to year, based on costs of program. CYSA is a non-profit organization.We work to charge players the incurred costs less any fundraising or sponsorship contributions. Our goal is to charge enough to break even on the programs.
- Approximate cost for uniform is $75.
- Includes Jersey, shorts, and socks.
- Discounts and fundraising:
- CYSA runs fundraising programs throughout the year to help keep the fees down. We are always looking for volunteers to run or support these programs.Please contact Director of Fundraising to volunteer.
Ø Coach Selection:
- All CYSA coaches must have background check completed and approved prior to being on field with players (no exceptions).
- All Coaches must complete and achieve appropriate age coaching certifications.
- Coaches are selected by the Coaching Selection Committee, made up of the VP of Competitive, Director of Coaches and selected members of the Competitive Committee.
- Selection criteria include experience, certifications, past performance, and other contributions (non monetary) to CYSA.
Ø Registration / Tryouts /Team Selection:
- Registration starts in September and ends upon conclusion of tryouts.
- Tryouts are held in late September/early October.
- Players are urged to attend both tryout dates, to ensure proper evaluation.
- Evaluators include Competitive Committee members, certified coaches, and additional qualified trainers.
- CYSA allows players to “try up” to an older age group.To qualify for selection on an older age group team, the player must finish in the top 5 in the evaluation rankings for their own age group.
· Qualifying for an older age group does not guarantee selection on a team in that age group.
· League rules limit a team to 3 players from a younger age group.
- Teams will be selected within 2 weeks of tryouts completion.
- Selection Process:
· Coaches may be determined prior to team selection.
· Tryout information is compiled and results are given to the coaches for review.
· Teams are then selected by the head coach…with approval of VP of Competitive.
· Players are notified within 1 week of team selection.
- Please keep your email address updated in GotSoccer database. This email is used to notify players, along with phone calls.
- Spring Roster process:
- If teams require additional players for Spring session (loss of players, or larger rosters required for outdoors), CYSA will facilitate a movement of players between teams:
· Additional players will be recruited to create a pool of added players…coaches in the age group along with VP Competitive will agree on evaluation and ranking of new players. If necessary, tryout will be held to evaluate players.
· Process may vary if circumstances warrant. If necessary, final decision on process change will be made by CYSA in the best interest of the players.
Ø Refund Policy
- Process for withdrawing from CYSA:
- Player or Parent must submit a request (in writing via email) to VP of Competitive prior to the 1st practice of session 1 of indoor, prior to the 5th game of session 1 of indoor for session 2, or prior to March 1st for Spring outdoor (session 3) to qualify for refund or partial refund minus administrative fees. After these periods, they are not eligible for refund for that session.
- Decisions for refunds will be made by CYSA Competitive Payment Committee, consisting of VP Competitive, Treasurer, Registrar, and President of CYSA.
- Once a player receives a refund, their position on their current team is no longer guaranteed.
- Coaches are not allowed to facilitate the process of refunds.
- 100% Refund for a session will be given for the following circumstances:
- Player withdraws prior to being placed on a team.
- If an Injury prior to a session will prevent player from participating in any games or practices in that session, they may be refunded for that session.
- If a player makes an interscholastic team that will prevent them from participating in more than 50% of practices and games in a session, they may be refunded for that session.
- If a player moves out of state, prior to any practices or games in a session, they may be refunded for that session.
- If CYSA does not have a spring team available for a player, a refund for spring will be given.
- Partial Refunds may be given if a player withdraws prior to the 1st game or 1st practice of the session for the following circumstances:
- If schedules of games and practices prevent a player from participating due to a pre-existing CYSA commitment, the player may receive a refund less a drop fee of $25.
Ø Playing Time:
- Playing time is distributed at the coaches’ discretion, following guidelines below:
- Not all players are required equal playing time.
- Players’ attitude, performance, commitment and dedication will help dictate playing time.
- CYSA competitive requires coaches to play each player (on average) a minimum of 40% of the game, assuming reasonable roster size.
- Goalie’s minutes in goal count as playing time.
- Any disputes over playing time must be addressed professionally and require a 24 hour ‘cooling off’ period. Under no circumstances shall a parent confront a coach immediately after a game.
- If a parent wishes to voice a complaint, it must be in writing to the VP Competitive.